Me and the husband, we’re quite oh-fay with computers and computing stuff. In fact, I graduated in computer science back in the day, when the internet wasn’t even a thing. Can you imagine? No, nor could I after 12 or so years utilising this qualification, so here I am, painting. Meantime, the husband is like someone born to use a computer. He thinks in binary. He can code. He can sort out your spreadsheet. He can do you some html to jazz up your website. But did either of us come out the other side of printing my painting unscathed? No, we did not.
This is the short version of a four day hell whereby I almost lost my mind.
- Some paintings were fine when printed. Represented the original quite well.
- A couple did not. Both photoshop and paint.net could not print out a particular painting with the correct colours. But if we printed from the Windows photo viewer (hardly the industry standard, surely?), we got accurate colours. What the?
- Resizing in paint.net was a trial….and best avoided as you cannot switch off resampling. I don’t know what resampling is, but it’s terribly important you switch it off.
- We eventually learned that we needed to switch our printers colour management settings to Adobe RGB. We think. Who knows.
The thing is, I was googling the hell out of this colour problem and I didn’t even come close to finding an answer. Or even a tenuous link. Which made us feel like we’re the only people in the whole world who had come across this!
The only advice really out there was: make sure resolution is 300 dpi and you’re good to go.
So. We are frazzled, and look at each other like we can’t believe what we went through, but at least I do have some prints, which look all smart in their mounts. I just don’t know if I’ll ever be able to print them again!